Saturday, January 14, 2017

An Inspiring Foggy Drive

Detail from a Shredded Paper Painting I am working on.

The Western Mass weather and my environment is in a constant state of flux. It is January 12th, the temperature is 50 degrees and all but the plowed piles of snow have melted and it is raining. Fog hangs low below the trees and rises from the ground. There is a stillness and mystical quality as I drive to my 4 o'clock yoga class in Cummington. There is still daylight but I worry about the drive home in the dark if the foggy conditions persist.

The beauty of the landscape in the mist brings me back to the present and I am captivated by the soft cool grays that the white clouds produce as trees recede and their focus becomes hazy. Trees hidden by the fog on the side of the road become visible as I drive closer. The wet pavement shines while the areas of dry cement are dull. The sky is many different shades of gray.

This ever changing atmosphere is finding its way into my artwork. The color values, gray tones and surfaces sheen are of particular concern to me. The drive to yoga class and my latest work become one.

As I lay on my matt preparing for class I close my eyes and I can still see after images of the shredded paper painting I am working on. This occurs from studying the piece and letting it tell me what to do next. My drive in the mist gives me insights I will incorporate tomorrow. I already know the problem area I must resolve. There are several possibilities to explore and a fresh look in the morning may hold the answer.

Ordered art supplies arrived while at yoga class and I am anxious to try adding turquoise to the painting. The shared palette of two of my favorite painters, Matisse and Debienkorn, are emerging in this piece. The turquoise must be muted like the grays in the mist to work with the painting's palette but will add life and depth, I hope!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment