Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Prepping for the Hilltown Open Studio Tour June 23-24, 2018 -- 15% off all artwork till July 1.


Untitled Aluminum 1117 is just one of the many Shredded Paper Paintings I will be showing at the Hilltown Open Studio Tour taking place in Western Mass this coming June.

This is the first year 26 artists located at 24 studios throughout four towns just east of the Berkshire will open their studios to the public. I am nervous and excited all at the same time. Not sure what to expect, whether there will be a steady stream of people coming through the studio or just a handful! 

I have several different bodies of work I've produced over the years to display. Of course, I will feature my latest works, Shredded Paper Paintings. Some done on cradled panels and others on aluminum panels. In fact, I will be doing a demo each day at 2 p.m. on how to prepare, paint and collage on aluminum panels. My studio isn't big so it will be an intimate show and tell. 

There isn't much wall space in my studio so it is a challenge figuring out how to show the most artwork without it being cluttered. Or, would the cluttered look work??? I find when people come to my studio and it is neat and clean and I have selected pieces and displayed them orderly that people are disappointed and want to feel like they can discover a hidden gem among my work -- that I am hiding just the piece they want among my storage stacks. Of course, I can take artwork out of the stacks on request but many people aren't comfortable asking. It is a dilemma striking the right balance.

Although, there is a separate entrance to my studio I do not use it. In fact, since the house is almost 200 years old the door needs to be shaved at an angle to open and close properly and I don't want to do that since it would allow cold air into the studio in the winter. And, taking the door off the hinges is not an options I want to consider in order for people to come and go. So I will route people through the kitchen offering refreshments and displaying artwork there as well as on the walls leading into the studio. I'll line these walls with black and white acrylic mixed medium works on paper. 


Magnolia Tree 1, 27"x 36" 

My budget is limited and not knowing how many people will be coming to the studio and if they will purchase artwork or just be out for a days drive, I can't afford to frame the work even thought it would show the best that way. I will have a framed example of a limited edition print I am offering from the image featured above as a less expensive alternative.  In fact, I will take orders not only for the works on paper but for prints made of my shredded paper paintings, if people are interested. 

To encourage sales at the Open Studio,  I am offering 15% off all artwork sold from now till July 1st. This includes all artwork on my website, as well as the Meditation Paintings featured on this blog. 

I still need to make many purchases to prepare the house. There are gardens galore around my house and people are welcome to walk through them but I also want to buy two hanging baskets to offset the porch entrance. 



And, of course, some small frames for the meditation paintings, command strips, washers and earth magnets for hanging the works on paper on the walls and of course, some food to serve my guests.

The Hilltown Open Studio Tour is taking place in the hilltowns of Chesterfield, Cummington, Plainfield and Worthington on Saturday, June 23 from 10-5 and Sunday, June 24 from 11-5.
I am located in South Worthington, a very artistic hamlet, with 3 other artists opening their studio on the tour in very close proximity.  I hope you can make it. It should be a lot of fun. I look forward to showing you my work. Leave a comment, especially if you have any questions.




No comments:

Post a Comment